Sherlock: Summary

I’ve dubbed these shoes “Sherlock”, for the simple reason that they feel like something Mr. Holmes would wear. I’m thinking that suitable matches could include a tweed jacket, pipe, and Victorian England.

This is a summary of the finished shoes – In the construction post, I describe how they were made.

It felt only fitting to photograph “Sherlock” in thick fog.

From the arch side:

And together:

The leather outsoles were stitched at 9 spi with waxed polycord. I know there’s more prestige in a tighter stitch, but I quite like the look of 9 spi.

I’ve put additional work into the finishing process. I’m not quite there yet, but it’s getting better.

Shiny edges.

A look from underneath at the cemented Dainite outsoles. (The Dainite logo looks to be off center on both shoes, since I made the waists rather slender for this type of shoe. On both shoes, the logo looks to drift to the arch for this reason.)

The color of the upper leather really “pops” in comparison to mundane objects. The upper leather from d’Annonay really is a beautiful color.

On some pebble ground.

And finally, on the trusted asphalt backdrop of my driveway, in my favorite type of natural lighting.

Specs:

Construction: Hand welted
Uppers:
Tannerie d’Annonay scotch grain calf in mocca
Lining: 2 oz veg tanned baby calf
Insoles: J&FJ Baker
Outsoles: Dainite outsoles, cemented onto 3,8 mm stitched leather outsoles
Toe/heel stiffeners: 5 oz from Tärnsjö Garveri
Welt: natural welting leather from Leather & Grindery
Shank: Plastic
Heel lifts: 5 mm, mainly
Sockliner: something I had lying around the shop

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s