Heavy Apron

I recently picked up a nice haul of vegetable leather from Swedish tannery Tärnsjö Garveri. The leather used for this apron is too thick if anything, but I wanted to try and make a really heavy duty apron.

I made a pattern design in two pieces – shown below is a bottom piece.

02 Cutting apron piece.jpg

The top and bottom pieces are mirrored.

03 Apron Pieces.jpg

I attached the two top pieces to eachother. After double-checking that I had managed to cut straight lines, I applied contact cement to the edges and carefully forced them together. They are not skived as there is no overlap of leather.

apron top.jpg

I used a pricking wheel to mark the stitching holes on one side, and then a scratch awl to mark the holes individually on the adjoining piece. This was to ensure that the holes would produce neat squares.

Then I stitched it up, and did the same thing with the two bottom pieces.

05 stitching.jpg

When the top and bottom pieces were stitched separately, I put it all together.

center stitch.jpg

04 stitched apron.jpg

I hand burnished the edges with gum tragacanth.

No studs or rivets were used, but I made and hand stitched these thingies on.

06 stitching thingie.jpg

The straps were made with spine from 1st grade Italian veg tanned calf.

And here’s the finished product:

00 FINISHED APRON.jpg

Action shot:

01 FINISHED APRON 2.jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s